If you are bored with roasted or grilled veggies, you are going to love this Asian asparagus recipe.
And what can make it more Asian-styled than cooking it with Char Siu (sweet barbecue pork)?
Asparagus is probably featured in 80% of all weight-watchers.
Low in carbs and fat, high in fiber and nutrients, this spring vegetable is really a whole-package.
Asparagus is the star of this dish. But sometimes it can taste a little grassy. The caramelized Chinese BBQ pork does a great job in balancing the taste.
I’m in love with this Char Siu recipe from Recipe In Neats. It may take some trial-and-error to nail the authentic Chinese barbecue pork. But once you master it, it’s going to be a regular on your dinner table.
This stir-fry asparagus recipe is versatile and left-over friendly. If you are not a big fan of pork as I am, feel free to switch it up with ground beef or chicken tenderloin.
If you have barbecue pork in your fridge, it takes no more than 20 minutes to get this dish done. Try it out and tell me about it!
Is asparagus good for losing weight?
Simply put, YES!!!
If you are trying to lose weight without starving yourself, asparagus is your friend.
It is low in fat and calories. It also contains a high amount of fiber, keeping you from feeling hungry between meals.
Another thing that makes it a favorite for bodybuilders is its antioxidants like anthocyanins and vitamin E.
However, boiling asparagus in water or stewing it for too long may destroy some of the nutrients. Your body absorbs Vitamin E better with oil. In this case, stir-frying is one of the best ways to cook asparagus.
Here’s a little bit of the nutrition breakdown compared with broccoli: (data from USDA)
So if you are trying to lose weight, and are tired of broccoli, make asparagus a weeknight regular!
Preparations for this Asian asparagus recipe
- Slice the Chinese barbeque pork into stripes.
- Wash and peel the carrot. Halve it lengthwise and cut into thin slices.
- Crush a clove of garlic for later.
- Rinse asparagus till clean.
- Cut off the tough woody part (the bottom inch or so).
- Chop the remaining part of spears in half.
How to clean asparagus?
Follow the following steps to clean and prep your asparagus:
- Rinse the spears under running water. Make sure all sand and dirt are removed.
- Cut off the woody tough end of each spear.
- If you can’t tell how much to cut off, snap off for an inch or so from the bottom. If it won’t come off, cut off a few inches more.
- Alternatively, you can use a peeler to shave off the outer layer of the spear.
- 2 cups of fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 cup of Chinese barbecue pork
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoon of soy sauce
- Sugar, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add garlic in a large pan and heat it over medium heat. When the garlic turns golden brown, add in 1 teaspoon of olive oil and adjust the heat to medium-high.
- Add carrot in the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the asparagus. Stir for 3 minutes or until the vegetables get tender.
- Add the bbq pork in the pan. Stir a bit. Then add in soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of water in the pan and cover it with a lid to stew for 5 minutes.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the veggies are cooked through.
- Serve immediately, or with rice or chow mien.
Switch Chinese BBQ pork with chicken, beef, pork or any of your leftovers