Tomato and egg stir-fry is the most popular Chinese dish. You will find it in any Chinese restaurant or takeaway.
The almost-creamy texture and the sweet taste of the dish have earned it a spot in the Chinese food Hall of Fame. However, this 3-ingredient dish can be tricky to pull it off.
I have tried different ways of stir-frying tomato and egg. But not all come out as expected.
I have either overcooked the eggs or undercooked the tomatoes. Or the taste was too sour or too sweet. I’ve experimented a few times and learned several tricks from my mom to finally get it right.
So today, I am sharing a traditional Chinese tomato and egg stir-fry recipe and the cooking tips for beginners.
Give it a try and tell me what you think!
How to prepare the tomatoes?
Peel them, plain and simple.
I’ve stir-fried tomatoes without peeling the skin off. But it takes away the smoothness from the dish. If you love your scrambled tomato mellow, consider removing the skin.
So here’s how you can peel the tomatoes easily:
- Wash the tomatoes with running water.
- Boil a cup of water in an electric heater or a wok.
- In a bowl, soak the tomatoes in the boiled water for 1 minute or so.
- Take the tomatoes out. In another bowl, soak them with cool tap water.
- Now you can use your fingertips to remove the skin easily.
Cut the tomatoes in small wedges. I usually cut a medium-sized tomato into eight pieces. Use a sharp knife so it won’t squeeze much of the juice out while cutting.
How to cook the eggs?
You will get runny eggs if you cook them together with the tomatoes. To avoid that, fry the eggs first.
- Heat the pan or the wok on high heat. Add oil and coat the entire pan evenly.
- Add the whisked egg and let it sit for 15-20 seconds before stirring.
- Remove the egg when it’s half cooked.
- Keep the egg runny because we are stir-frying it with tomatoes later.
- 1 scallion, chopped into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium-size tomatoes
- Olive oil, 1 tbsp
- Sugar, 1 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- In a bowl, put in washed tomatoes. Soak them in boiled water for 1 minute.
- Pour the water out. Rinse the tomatoes in running water.
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes. Half them, remove the core and cut into small wedges.
- In a small bowl, crack two eggs and whisk till even. Add a small pinch of salt.
- Heat a pan or a wok to high heat. Add olive oil and coat the pan evenly.
- Add the egg mixture and stir for 30 seconds or so. Remove the egg to a plate when it’s half-cooked.
- In the same wok or pan, turn the heat to medium. Add tomatoes and stir them for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add in the half-cooked egg, sugar, and salt. Stir for another 3 minutes.
- Add scallions to the pan and stir for a minute or so. Transfer to a plate and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 372mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 8g
Have you cooked this Chinese tomato and egg stir-fry?
I hope this recipe and the cooking tips help you to nail the dish. If you find it helpful, or you have questions, let me know in the comment!
Love tomato? Check out this recipe!